Friday, April 7, 2017

Paya Indah Wetlands April 2017

Coppersmith barbet was the first bird seen that hot Sunday afternoon as I entered Paya Indah Wetlands. Located in Dengkil, Selangor, this wetlands was around half an hour drive from Kuala Lumpur. This 15cm beauty is the smallest barbet amongst the 11 species of Asian barbets, according to an article entitled "Notes on the Field Identification of the Green-Plumaged Barbets in Peninsular Malaysia" by Allen Jeyarajasingam published in eBIRD Malaysia. Click here to read this article and to view the beautiful, clearer and sharp pictures by Andy Lee and Choy Wai Mun.  
Coral red patches on front of its head according to Allen J. article.
 Coral red on breast bands in pictures above and below:-
Lesser Whistling Ducks, Cotton Pygmy Goose (1 male and 4 females), Little Egret, Cattle Egrets, Malayan Night-Crowned Heron, Brown Shrike, White-breasted Waterhen, were out and about in the wetlands from 5.15 to 7.15pm. Birds species seen that day has been reported in eBIRD Malaysia. As I ended my journey in Paya Indah Wetlands, the resident hippo peered at me from within its enclosure wondering what kind of creature I was sitting inside "the shell" of my car as I snapped a picture of it:) 

1 comment:

  1. Recap a previous trip to Paya Indah Wetlands at http://fraserhill.blogspot.my/2015/04/paya-indah-wetlands-dengkil-selangor.html

    ReplyDelete

Brickbats and Bouquets welcomed but not Internet trolls

Tropicbird versus Frigatebirds